From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Six non-Gentoo installs
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:21:33
1 On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > CentOS 7.0, however, was a mess.
6 >
7 > It took three attempts and almost an entire day of work.
8 >
9 > My first attempt was to use the "minimal" ISO image so that I would
10 > have the option of burning a CD if needed (I can't burn DVDs at the
11 > moment). That was a mistake. It was too minimal, and I couldn't get
12 > the network working to the point where I could configure repositories
13 > and install other stuff. Since the CentOS 7 ISO images all boot from
14 > USB flash drive anyway, staying under the 700MB CD size limit was moot
15 > anyway.
16 >
17 > Next I tried the net install ISO. I'm guessing I could have burned
18 > the DVD image to USB drive, but all I want is a minimal desktop
19 > system, so I figured why wait for a download of 3.5GB of stuff I don't
20 > care about.
21 >
22 > It still didn't recognize the NVidia Ethernet controller on my
23 > 5-year-old motherboard. After some cable swapping and futzing around,
24 > I got the netinstall going using the Realtek NIC.
25 >
26 > Maybe I just got unlucky and picked a slow mirror site, but once I got
27 > the install going, it ran for over 3 hours when installing a vanilla
28 > Gnome desktop system. Compare that with a 15 minute download time for
29 > a 700MB Xubuntu CD and then a 15 minute install.
30
31 AFAIK, the netinstall isn't really meant to be used over the net but
32 with a local mirror.
35 > CentOS 7 refused to install the bootloader in a partition: your only
36 > choices are MBR or nothing. When I manually installed grub legacy it
37 > failed because I had stupidly allowed CentOS to use ext4, and the
38 > build of Grub I had laying around didn't grok ext4.
39 >
40 > So I re-do the whole net install again using ext3 instead.
41 >
42 > Now, after manually installing Grub legacy in the CentOS 7 partition,
43 > it boots up.
44
45 The Anaconda developers have the same design philosophy as the Gnome
46 developers: fewer options, fewer options, fewer options, fewer
47 options, ...
48
49 In this particular case, they're just following the grub developers'
50 dislike of block lists; and the ext4 maintainer's described them as
51 emotionally insecure because of that.
54 > CentOS still doesn't recognize the NVidia motherboard Ethernet
55 > controller. After Google finds me a pages full of links to other
56 > people complaining about the exact same thing, I find out RedHat
57 > decided that the NVidia forcedeth driver wasn't widely used enough to
58 > deserve inclusion on an ISO image that was already 360+ MB. Thanks
59 > for that, RedHat. So it takes another 45 minutes of faffing around
60 > finding a third party src.rpm file for the forcedeth module and
61 > installing it. [It was either that or build a kernel and initrd.]
62
63 For future reference, elrepo.org is the best repo for RHEL issues like this one.
64
65 For RH, dropping forcedeth means cutting its support costs.