From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any one with experience using getmail with postfix?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 13:01:35
1 On 25/11/22 20:37, Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 25/11/2022 11:56, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >>      I am looking into replacing fetchmail with getmail on my mail
6 >> gateway system
7 >
8 > Are you using getmail, or getmail6?
9 >
10 > https://pyropus.ca./software/getmail/documentation.html#python3
11 >
12 > A quick "emerge --search getmail" shows that gentoo is distributing
13 > getmail6 under getmail's name - they are two completely different
14 > programs. I guess somebody should file a bug to get THAT fixed.
15 >
16 > The tldr is that the maintainer of getmail has not migrated to Python3
17 > - time is hard to find. getmail6 is a fork where somebody has fed it
18 > through 2to3 and not bugfixed it (properly). In other words, whether
19 > you choose getmail or getmail6, you have a problem.
20 >
21 > Made worse by the fact that many people - distros included! - don't
22 > realise that getmail and getmail6 are completely different entities.
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Wol
26 >
27 I dont think it makes a difference - for my purposes it looks and works
28 exactly like getmail, but uses python3.  I guess what I need is an MTA
29 that takes input on stdin, and outputs to a host:port