From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why is apps-misc/gnuit blocked by dev-util/git?
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 01:19:31
1 On 09/08/2009 12:24 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I'm trying to install gnu interactive tools (apps-misc/gnuit),
3 > but it is being blocked by the git source code management
4 > application (dev-util/get):
5 >
6 > alpha grante # emerge -av gnuit
7 >
8 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
9 >
10 > Calculating dependencies... done!
11 > [ebuild N ] app-misc/gnuit-4.9.5 874 kB
12 > [blocks B ] dev-util/git[gtk] ("dev-util/git[gtk]" is blocking app-misc/gnui t-4.9.5)
13 >
14 > I can't figure out what the two have to do with each other. I
15 > rarely use git, so I guess I could uninstall it -- but why
16 > would gnuit be blocked by git?
17 >
18 > Does this have something to do with the fact that
19 > apps-misc/gnuit used to be called apps-misc/git?
20
21 The collision was caused by Linus himself. He decided to name his
22 new version control system 'git' without checking to see if anyone
23 else was using the name, and by the time the gnu-interactive-tools
24 devs got around to objecting, Linus just plowed right over them,
25 saying (literally) "tough".
26
27 It was really rather rude, and the only time I've been disappointed
28 by Linus.