From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] encrypted email (gentoo-windows)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:53:15
1 Hello,
2
3 Background:
4 I use Thunderbird as my email client,
5 but the mail servers of another (my isp).
6 What I want is an email setup that interoperates
7 with encrypted emails from various unix and
8 windows based servers. (maybe dreaming here?)
9
10 So I'm research on interoperability
11 of eningmail, pgp, and such, but everything
12 I find is dated; citatiions appreciated.
13
14 Q1. Is there a method that will all me to set
15 up my email client(s) using various mail servers
16 as their smtp_host that start out with really good
17 encryption/dig-signatures and then auto fall back
18 down to lesser secure option with the last one
19 being ordinary email services?
20
21 Q2 Windows....
22 I'm not too versed in Windows. I try to avoid all
23 things windows. Unfortunately most of my activity
24 (emails etc) is with folks that like BG and the Redmonds.....
25 So what I thinking is there are few (MS)sites that actually
26 have some sort of auto-negotiations scheme to try for the
27 very best security between email servers (nix-doz) and then
28 fall back down the scale to a circa RFC822 type
29 of negotiated arrangement. But most MS sites are
30 brain-dead on there mail server and try hard to
31 not be interoperable with *nix as with all things
32 Redmond?
33
34 At the very least, maybe there is a tool(script) to
35 run that will ferret out the offered secure email exchange
36 options with a given mail server, categorize them, and at
37 least use secure email correspondences with those mail servers
38 that have been flushed out? Dunno. I'd settle for secure
39 email with the majority of sites I regularly exchange
40 emails with.
41
42 It's been a while since I set up a mail server, but,
43 if that (postfix) is what I need to do, then just tell
44 how (overview) the packages you'd use, or is this part of postfix?
47 Q3
48 Any documents, comments, or guidance is most welcome.
51 James