From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recovering plain alsa [WAS:]: no sound on upgraded Firefox from 7 to 8 - using
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 02:37:46
1 Francisco Ares wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks, Dale, but now everything is working fine again. I left
4 > "genkernel" working overnight on my custom ".config", and now that I
5 > removed "/etc/asound.conf" and "/etc/asound.status" and rebooted,
6 > everything is working fine with just plain ALSA.
7 >
8 > As far as I know, "sdl" is somewhat like "pulse", isn't it? Some
9 > higher level of interfacing, I think. Let's do some more research...
10 >
11 > By the way, looking on your previous post, why do you have alsa-libs
12 > emerged and alsa built in the kernel at the same time?
13 >
14 > Thanks again
15 > Francisco
18 > --
19 > "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
20 > you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
21 > I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
22 > two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
23
24 If I recall correctly, I had to install alsamixer to unmute my card. I
25 think that is what pulled that and others in. Funny thing is, once I
26 unmute the card, I guess I can remove the package. I don't think the
27 alsa service is running or anything. I use Kmix for volume settings.
28
29 Strange how each system does the same things but has different ways of
30 doing it. :/
31
32 Dale
33
37 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
38
39 Miss the compile output? Hint:
40 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"