From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J1800 drivers
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:06:33
1 2014-06-15 6:52 GMT-03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On Wednesday 11 Jun 2014 12:28:17 Francisco Ares wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > I am trying to install Gentoo on a x64 system with such processor, that,
7 > as
8 > > far as I could understand, is like to have the chipset embedded, so the
9 > > buses to video, pci express, usb, etc, comes out of the processor chip.
10 > >
11 > > The kernel from the 3.10 series were not able to correctly handle this
12 > > processor, at least the video driver (not sure about the rest), but the
13 > new
14 > > stable one, "gento-sources-3.12.21-r1" is OK, now I have the framebuffer
15 > > splash.
16 > >
17 > > But no X11 for now. I have added "~amd64" keywords to
18 > > "x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel", but, for now, only a black screen, with
19 > no
20 > > clue on the log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" (which is the latest).
21 > >
22 > > On "/etc/portage/make.conf", I have the line:
23 > >
24 > > VIDEO_CARDS="intel i915 i965 modesetting"
25 > >
26 > > Did I miss something?
27 >
28 > Change the above to:
29 >
30 > VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965 modesetting"
31 >
32 > (not sure if modesetting is necessary)
33 >
34 > Enable the corresponding kernel drivers, but not for framebuffer - see
35 > here:
36 >
37 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Configuration
38 >
39 > and recompile and install your new kernel.
42 > Run emerge -uaNDv world which will remerge the necessary xorg drivers.
43 > Reboot
44 > and it should work.
45 >
46 > --
47 > Regards,
48 > Mick
52 Thanks, going to try this too.
53
54 Now I get something in a (what seems a) "VGA compatible controller", and
55 although the frame buffer is working, the Tux logos and all text characters
56 are all white and irregular blocks, with approximate expected sizes for
57 characters, but it looks like each one was written twice, a bit shifted
58 each time, so some of them even merge. Even the colored brief diagnostic
59 messages for the results of the init scripts are also white.
60
61 I guess I forgot to add the intel drivers to the kernel, going to check
62 this first.
63
64 Thanks again,
65 Francisco