From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udevd boot messages
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 00:57:37
1 On May 24, 2012 5:19 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 23 May 2012 22:54:23 +0100
4 > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
7 [znip]
8
9 > > Did either of you ever open a bug about this or even discuss it in the
10 > > gentoo-dev mailing list? What you say sounds like a valid concern to
11 > > me but unless you express your needs to maintainers, nothing is ever
12 > > going to happen. However, in this particular case, yes a news item
13 > > would be the ideal solution.
16 > I haven't opened a bug myself, mostly because I've never been bitten
17 > by this. My Gentoo servers run stable so I've always known from this
18 > list and other places when something requiring a reboot is coming down
19 > the line.
22 +1
23
24 I love this list :-)
25
26 In my previous place, I have one 'experimental' server which gets updated
27 before all others. It's the 'designated fall guy'.
28
29 Which reminds me of Project Management 101: What's the first thing you must
30 do before embarking on a project? Answer: Designate a fall guy and prepare
31 implicating evidences. ;-)
32
33 > I agree, a news item is the perfect solution. Having portage do it will
34 > be highly cumbersome, it will require some kind of new magic flag in
35 > ebuilds that portage must parse. All that work for something that
36 > doesn't happen often? Nah, it'll never fly.
39 Also a heartfelt +1 for this.
40
41 That said, I'm going to repost this 'news' to the Gentoo-server list,
42 unless someone beats me to it.
43
44 Rgds,