From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev: renaming eth0 to eth1 ???
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 18:26:31
1 On 12/4/10, meino.cramer@×××.de <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > unfortunately I had to change my motherboard (the replacement is
5 > exactly the same model/type of the previous on).
6 >
7 > I booted the new board and: NO Lan. Eth0 dead it seems.
8 >
9 > It took me several long minutes before I found the following
10 > line in dmesg's log:
11 >
12 > udev: renaming etho to eth1
13 >
14 > There is only the onboard lan chip and no extra ethernet
15 > card is installed in the rig.
16 >
17 > Now I have eth1 and no eth0.
18 > Why does this happen? What is the reason for that?
19
20 Most likely they have different MACs, and there is already a udev rule
21 binding the old mobo's NIC's MAC to eth0. Thus, the new one received
23 edit the automatically created udev rules.
24
25 See and edit the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. I
26 think you could just nuke the entire file, and everything should be
27 re-identified and numbered correctly, but I edited it manually when I
28 last faced a mobo/NIC change.
31 Arttu V.