From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which filesystem for a notebook?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 01:36:26
1 On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:40:36 +0200
2 Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
3
4 > Hello!
5 >
6 > What filesystem(s) do you recommend for use on a notebook?
7 > I'm looking for a FS that's fairly stable even if all of a
8 > sudden the power goes away (battery empty) and one, that
9 > also doesn't (overly) unneccesarily spin up the hard drive.
12 Any journaling filesystem is going to spin up the drive or keep it spinning.
13 And unless your drive is one of the 7200 rpm drives, it's still not the energy
14 hog that the LCD is.
15
16 > I don't think that I'll use Reiser4, as it's lacking an
17 > online fs resizer. At least making the fs bigger should be
18 > doable while the FS is mounted.
21 You're asking for Enterprise server features for a laptop?
22
23 fwiw - I use XFS on my laptop. It survives fine with power going away.
24 But, if all the data is in the buffer and the drive is spun down, having the
25 power die will cause lost data regardless of filesystem.
26
27 Bob
28 -
29 --