From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: slow MTP in Thunar, was fine in Gnome
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 15:17:47
1 On 2019-09-11, Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com> wrote:
2 > On 9/11/19 4:33 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2019-09-11, Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com> wrote:
4 >>> After my recent switch from Gnome to XFCE (both ~amd64) transferring
5 >>> files from the smartphone to the desktop via USB/MTP has become
6 >>> unbearably slow. From my understanding both Gnome (Nautilus?) and Thunar
7 >>> use gnome-base/gvfs which with mtp USE flag pulls in media-libs/libmtp
8 >>> so I don't understand why this big change in behavior. Any hints?
9 >> I've tried a number of MTP implementations on Linux, and none of them
10 >> have proven stable and reliable. IMO, you're better off installing an
11 >> ssh/scp server and using sftp or sshfs.
12 >>
13 >> IIRC, there's a farily extensive recent thread on this.
14 >
15 > What disturbs me is that the same hardware combo worked fine with Gnome
16 > till one month ago, it broke only when I switched to XFCE so it must be
17 > a software configuration issue.
18
19 I saw similar behavior with MTP from one day to the next with no
20 changes in anything.
21
22 > Command line would be fine for me but not for the kids.
23
24 You can mount sftp and ssh as filesystems just like you do with MTP.
27 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! PEGGY FLEMMING is
28 at stealing BASKET BALLS to
29 gmail.com feed the babies in VERMONT.