From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unmerge emacs
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:00:55
1 In the future, if you have gentoolkit emerge you can run an `equery d
2 <packagename>` to see what depends upon the package. I find that the easiest
3 way to do things.
4
5 -Mike
6
7 On 8/21/05, Anthony E. Caudel <acaudel@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >
9 > Holly Bostick wrote:
10 >
11 > >Anthony E. Caudel schreef:
14 > >>Ah, the "profile" threw me. I was thinking profiles and not the emerge
15 > >>system I had done originally.
16 > >>
17 > >>I use nano so I guess I can unmerge it safely. But I'm still at a loss
18 > >>why the warning should come up. Emacs is not listed in base/packages
19 > >>nor linux-default/packages nor x86/packages and finally not in
20 > >>2005.0/packages. I am correct in thinking these constitute "system,"
21 > >>right. It also is not in my make.conf nor is it pulled in by any other
22 > >>package (emerge info does not list it as a USE flag).
23 > >>
24 > >>Tony
25 > >>
26 > >>
27 > >
28 > >Did you check /etc/portage/package.use? Afaik, USE flags listed there
29 > >are not listed by emerge info, and that's the only other thing I can
30 > >think of; emacs must have been installed as a explicit dependency of a
31 > >particular system package (or sub-dependency of such).
34 > Nope, nothing relevant in package.use. Oh well, unmerged it and
35 > revdep-rebuild didn't complain so THWI.
36 >
37 > >You could also explicitly set "-emacs" in /etc/make.conf and see what
38 > >changes in an emerge -uaDNtv world (or system), which would not only
39 > >tell you why emacs is involved in this (I, for example, don't have it at
40 > >all, and I suppose our systems are basically similar), as well as
41 > >orphaning the dependency, so you could clean it out safely with a
42 > >depclean (or normally, without the warning).
43 > >
44 > >HTH,
45 > >Holly
49 > --
50 > Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
51 > Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
52 > -- Benjamin Franklin
53 >
54 > --
55 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
62 Michael E. Crute
63 Software Developer
64 SoftGroup Development Corporation
65
66 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
67 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"