From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 19:34:56
1 On 22/06/2020 19:50, Dale wrote:
2 > Anyway, the 8GB cards have been plenty large enough so it could be any
3 > number of reasons they say the limit is 32GB.  It could be they know it
4 > will run out of file names.  Most pics are named with four digit
5 > numbers. So, 9,999 files and it either stops taking pics or starts
6 > overwriting the files.  I haven't done the math.
7
8 The OBVIOUS reason is that the SDHC spec supports a maximum of 32GB.
9 Stick a larger card in and you're likely to have problems when the card
10 starts filling up.
11 >
12 > I just thought of something.  The video camera doesn't have a format
13 > function.  I use a old camera that is broken to format it.  It doesn't
14 > take pics anymore but the display works and it formats fine.  Now I can
15 > format them all without having to squint.  ROFL
16
17 Or use mkfs.vfat to reformat it under linux :-)
18
19 Cheers,
20 Wol