From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 07:55:09
1 On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:06:29 AM CET Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 13/12/2017 01:23, allan gottlieb wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Dec 11 2017, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 > >> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>
5 wrote:
6 > >>> Just my two cents. I will not answer any reply to my little contribution
8 > >>> this thread;
9 > >>
10 > >> Good. I can't remember any intervention from you that I would miss.
11 > >
12 > > That makes one of us.
13 > >
14 > > As a gnome user I needed to use systemd when gnome-3 came about. While
15 > > I have nothing useful to say pro or con about systemd, I strongly
16 > > believe Canek has contributed a number of helpful comments to this
17 > > group.
18 >
19 > Yes, this.
20 >
21 > Some historical correctnesses about Canek:
22 >
23 > - He has been here for years
24 > - He has contributed here for years
25 > - He supports systemd and has offered more help and explanation about
26 > systemd to it's users on this list than any other single person, bar none
27 > - He has never, not once, slagged off SysV Init, OpenRC or any other
28 > init system, ot the creators or the users
29 > - He has never posted rude or inflamatory comments about anyone arguing
30 > against him
31 > - He has never resorted to ad-hominem and never posted any knee jerk
32 > opinions about any other poster wrt their stance on init systems
33
34 +1
35 I may not agree with Canek on all things:
36 - I do dislike systemd, especially on Centos where disabling services doesn't
37 always work past a reboot
38 - Users who can't write code also have a right to be heard and their wishes
39 should still be honestly considered
40
41 But the conversations have always been civil. And information from him has
42 always been helpful. He is one of the few people on this list whose comments I
43 read and who I do miss when there isn't something for a while.
44
45 > If we look at the reverse we see a very different picture, and it's
46 > right here in this very thread. To the poster who rudely commented about
47 > Canek being a professor and that doesn't make him right and that he is
48 > one voice, step back pal and take a very long hard look at what you
49 > said. Yes, it doesn't make him right. Also doesn't make him wrong. His
50 > posts and the content are what make him right or wrong. There truly are
51 > fan bois on this list, but Canek is not one of them. It's the
52 > systemd-haters and Poeterring-haters who are being fan bois, painting
53 > all detractors with the same brush.
54
55 Canek bases his "being a fan of systemd" on what he needs and wants from a
56 computer. For him, systemd fits that requirement perfectly.
57
58 > Frankly, I'm amazed Canek is still here considering the amount of abuse
59 > he takes from this list. He must have thick skin or maybe dealing with
60 > detractors is a crucial part of academic training. I myself would have
61 > rage quitted a long time ago but he is still here.
62 >
63 > A good healthy dose of manners like your Mama taught you is in short
64 > supply around here right now.
65
66 +1 (again)