From: Kyle Adams <kaddeh@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] device eth0 does not exist
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:11:25
1 First: What is the NIC in the box where eth0 isn't showing up
2 Second: Is the driver in your kernel?
3
4 If not, pastebin lspci
5
6 Cheers
7
8 Kad
9
10 On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Cinder <cinder@××××××××××.com> wrote:
11
12 > Hello, and thancks for the help. I really dig Gentoo.
13 >
14 > I've installed my first Gentoo, but now I'm stuck. I started on an old
15 > PIII to try things out. Got the networking, ATI happening with xfce4 (had to
16 > unmasked a few things)and quickly dicided I would rather do this on the
17 > fastest machine I've got. I stuck the hardrive in my PIV and it booted, so I
18 > thought I'd just reconfigure and keep going. I compiled a new kernel with a
19 > module for the new onboard nic and had networking again. After a deep update
20 > gcc broke but was easy fixed by updating the link to my current gcc version
21 > 4.3.2. After discovering the gentoolkit (Wow!) I was revdep-rebuilding
22 > emerging -udN system and world 'cause my network interface was now coming up
23 > as eth1. There seemed to some residue from the previous network and graphix
24 > cards. So then I went removed the keywords file that unmasked packages for X
25 > and or ATI and emptied the portage tree. "emerge -eN system && emerge -eN
26 > world" 80!... 24 hours later my system has been entirely rebuilt with the
27 > new gcc and no masked packages. Cool! Had unmerged X and xfce4 somewhere
28 > along the way, so reinstalled them with some other bits and pieces as per
29 > the Gentoo xfce4 config guide. Haven't rebooted yet. Reboot! Had grub now
30 > Lilo? I didn't do that. Oh well, still works. Ok everything seems to be
31 > fine, accept no network (and net-setup seems to have disapeared):( I think
32 > have inadvertantly migrated to Xorg 1.5 with all that hal stuff). Then I
33 > thought maybe i had migrated to openrc as well and started fiddling
34 > /etc/conf.d and /etc/rc.conf. (and a bit in /etc/edev/rules.d too:0. But
35 > emerge and equery assure me that I don't have baselayout-2 or openrc
36 > installed. ifconfig -a shows only lo and sit0. So Any insight would be
37 > greatly appreciated. Here are some detailes.
38 >
39 > # emerge --info http://pastebin.com/m36183d86
40 >
41 > my kernel cofiguration http://pastebin.com/m318ca8e8