From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distrowatch and gentoo......
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:18:35
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Friday 30 June 2006 16:55, Rumen Yotov wrote:
3 >> Don't wanna say anything, but all of you could just search -dev
4 >> ML-archives. There are two alternate package-managers in development.
5 >> Some sparks about dev/user overlays,sunrise-overlay,GWN etc. etc.
6 >> Not seen such turmoil in latest 3 years (and IMHO most things are
7 >> personal). No flames intended, just info.
8 >
9 > Is there a point to this? Because I'm not sure I caught it... (Note that AFAIK
10 > both of those alternative package managers wish to be part of Gentoo.)
11 >
12 Hi,
13 Yes but the question is which *one* will prevail (maybe it'll be better
14 if two or even three are used, based on user preferences etc.).
15 The way to go (as it's going now) is to standardize on the ebuild format
16 - the *data* in portage and open place for technical merits.
17 IMO this is just a temporary problem from which something better will
18 emerge, i truly hope so. Lets hope *everybody* will learn from it ;)
19 PS:BTW what you/others think of user-representatives idea?
20 Richard/Neil&others could be ones, both have technical&personal qualities.
21 See prev./last GWN. There's a voting thread somewhere in forums.g.o
22 Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature