From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wireless DHCP takes over resolv.conf
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 22:33:07
1 On Monday 11 Jul 2016 23:50:48 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 11/07/2016 23:03, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> On 11/07/2016 22:29, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > >>> On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>>> why don't you go with the dns server addresses supplied by each
7 > >>>> network's dhcp? Presumably the admin put them their because they
8 > >>>> work on that network.
9 > >>>
10 > >>> One might think that, but I find it often not to be the case. I can
11 > >>> recall many networks where the DNS servers returned by the DHCP server
12 > >>> didn't work well at all, and things got a _lot_ better when I manually
13 > >>> configured a couple working DNS servers (e.g. the Google ones at
14 > >>> 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Around here, Comcast's DNS servers are famously
15 > >>> bad.
16 > >>
17 > >> Then shoot the idiot running that wireless network.
18 > >
19 > > You're not actually allowed to do that General Dreedle...
20 > >
21 > >> If he's one of my juniors, tell me so I can fire him (as he's just
22 > >> proved he can't do the job he's paid to do)
23 > >
24 > > And if you're at a customer or vendor site? A friend's or relative's
25 > > house? Using a municiple WiFi system? Using WiFi on an airplane,
26 > > bus, train, whatever?
27 > >
28 > > Sometimes you just need to get along with people and get some work
29 > > done. You always can't demand that things get done your way or
30 > > somebody's gonna get fired or taken out back and beaten...
31 >
32 > Pretty much always worked for me. I'm one of the guys that sets things
33 > up so that guys like you have no reason to ever say "Around here,
34 > Comcast's DNS servers are famously bad". Replace "Comcast" with the real
35 > name of my real employer. If my team gets that wrong (and we never have
36 > thus far), millions of people immediately and at once suffer. So forgive
37 > me if I'm a tad touchy on the subject.
38 >
39 > But seriously, if the dns servers provided by dhcp aren't up to snuff
40 > then by all means put working ones in your resolv.conf. And also help
41 > the owner of the network fix his config - there really is no excuse for
42 > setting up software to tell people to use broken or badly behaved caches.
43 >
44 > Alan
45
46 All good points made here and Alan's style of leadership (...daily floggings
47 will continue until morale improves) surely works in some cases. However, in
48 certain locations there are 2 or 3 open WiFi networks which I may accidentally
49 associate with. They will not let you use their network without
50 registering/login in with them, using your browser. So, when I end up
51 associating with any of them, their nameservers pollute my resolv.conf and
52 delays ensue every time I seek a URL. Sometimes the WiFi network is one I
53 want to associate with, but not use its relatively slower nameservers, until I
54 unplug the ethernet cable and roam around the office. There are more nuanced
55 use cases (some network servers are not accessible via WiFi, but are via
56 ethernet) but I don't want to complicate further the basic requirement:
57
58 It would be great if the order of nameservers entered in /etc/resolv.conf
59 respected the metric of the NIC.
62 Regards,
63 Mick