From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:58:23
1 Am Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2017, 20:37:47 CET schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
2 > > > I've no idea how good systemd is. It's not been through the normal
3 > > > process of choice and selection that other successful packages have. It
4 > > > was forced on people. But being forced to have a binary system log,
5 > > > being forced (so I have heard) to have an http server running, ....,
6 > > > doesn't make it an attractive package for me.
7 > >
8 > > *All* of this is "so I have heard". What happened to researching stuff as
9 > > the better alternative to speaking out of your ass?
10 >
11 > What have I done to deserve this abusive style of repartee? I have never
12 > doled this out to anybody on this list in the past, and have no intention
13 > of doing so in the future.
14
15 You're right, you received the brunt of my built up aggression from this
16 thread. I'm sorry for that.
17
18 > Yes, there are a lot of "so I have heard"s in my posts. Asking people on
19 > this list to confirm or refute things is a form of research, and a lot
20 > more efficient than many other ones.
21 >
22 > There are several tens of thousands of packages in Gentoo, and I lack the
23 > time personally to investigate each one. Asking people who already use
24 > them and post on this list is a normal thing to do. Answering questions
25 > about packages one oneself uses is the flip side of that coin.
26
27 Except that you're not exactly asking questions, now are you? You asked Neil
28 one, but only after a longer to and fro. If you *had* actually started out
29 asking questions, as opposed to spouting hearsay and then even literally
30 saying that you couldn't be bothered to research systemd yourself, my response
31 would have been drastically different. Remember that everybody is here on
32 their own time, and not everybody wants to spend it responding to questions
33 that can easily be answered by reading documentation. I'm already wasting
34 oodles of time writing this as is.
35
36 If you *really* are interested, there is a longer thread on gentoo-amd64 where
37 I wrote about my experience switching to systemd [0] (keep in mind, however,
38 that a bunch of it is outdated by now, such as how I manage networking and
39 backups). It could be interesting especially since it's mostly about actually
40 solving problems.
41
42 I could list specific features of systemd that I like and make use of (such as
43 socket activation, autofs integration, user units, nspawn, or the journal),
44 but thinking about it, it's a "more than the sum of its parts" kind of deal.
45 Managing a system with systemd is just overall pleasant for me.
46
47 [ And I never again have to deal with the state of a service being misreported
48 by OpenRC because a daemons PID file has the wrong PID in it, or with stopping
49 a service not actually stopping it, both of which I had experienced multiple
50 times. ]
51
52 [0] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-amd64/message/
53 58c67218a203b84318d52a39c3c67f73
54
55 Greetings
56 --
57 Marc Joliet
58 --
59 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
60 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup