From: Hans <linux@××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: External HDD: sector size incorrectly detected on first connect
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:58:41
1 On 10/03/15 19:45, Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > while I haven't had a chance to try the external HDD on my brother's
5 > Windows computer yet, I did notice one thing: when I turn the HDD off (i.e.,
6 > unplug its AC) for several hours and turn it back on (with my PC still running
7 > the entire time) the problem does *not* show up.
8 >
9 > I would think that this points to a driver problem, but then again, the problem
10 > also fails to show up when I reboot my computer while the drive stays on.
11 >
12 > The only time when the problem consistently shows up is when I turn my computer
13 > off for a longer period of time (with or without turning off the power strip
14 > the PC and HDD are attached to). For example, after turning the PC off for the
15 > night, the problem always occurs after I turn it back on in the morning.
16 >
17 > I wonder if it has anything to do with my USB3 PCI card.
18 >
19 > (This is, incidentally, why I haven't been able to try it with my brother's PC
20 > yet: the only condition where I know the that the problem will show up is after
21 > leaving my computer off for the night or while I'm gone during the day. So I
22 > would have to try it with my brother in the morning or evening, but that has
23 > not been possible yet.)
24 >
25 > One more thing I'll try: not having the HDD plugged into the USB3 slot when my
26 > computer boots up.
27 >
28 > Greetings
29 >
30 Have a very similar problem with a USB drive. Resolved it by installing
31 a toggle switch into the DC power line and switched the drive on when I
32 did a backup. I.e. power up the PC, login, power up the USB drive.