From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo livedvd kernel
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 22:53:40
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > Generally the kernel is the easiest thing to get off of one of those
5 > LiveDVDs by just sticking the DVD in a drive and reading it (without
6 > booting it). Everything else on the DVD except for the kernel and
7 > initramfs and bootloader tends to go in some big squashfs or the like.
8 > However, the kernel has to be someplace the bootloader can read it,
9 > and that usually means a vmlinuz or whatever on the root directory.
10
11 Right now the (2) systems are booted up on media, so I cannot test this.
12 (later on I will).
15 > You could probably just use the same kernel on your own system, unless
16 > it has an embedded command line or initramfs (I forget offhand how
17 > overriding either of these works).
18
19 Yes. scp is my favorite for this.... but I want to look at the actual
20 kernels that are used for bootup of a livedvd and the minimal, for
21 many reasons.
22
23 > Most bootloaders tend to not
24 > require these, but in some embedded situations you could run into
25 > them. Once upon a time the kernel had a BIOS boot sector in the first
26 > 512 bytes so you could just dd the kernel onto a disk and boot it
27 > (there is still a stub that will tell you to bugger_off_msg if you do
28 > that in arch/x86/boot/header.S). (just a bit of trivial there)
29
30 Do tell more.
31
32 Now this would be most useful to me. If you recall (over 6 months ago)
33 I was (am) working on a setup where I can use all of the old systems,
34 drives, usb, and a plethora of embedded boards to run variants
35 of embedded gentoo through minimal gentoo. I particularly got stuck
36 on how to quickly reinstall a system moving media around. If
37 I could just "dd" kernels/images around, I could keep many images/kernels on
38 a server and then boot--> chroot one of those aforementioned "test boxes"
39 and quickly and have a minimal old cpu test system online for hacking. I
40 (temporarily) shelved that project to get clustering going with btrfs, ceph
41 and mesos+spark on gentoo. Naturally, I have bitten off
42 a wee_bit too much, but, life is good!
43
44 Likewise, meino was (is?) working on porting/hacking the
45 old venerable netconsole.c [1] to some newer embedded boards.
46 Many variants of netconsole.c have existed over the decades.....
47 I think running embedded/minimum gentoos via secure portal is kind of the
48 next step (for me) after figuring out a semantic for being about to use all
49 those old x86 and amd64 boxes for various testings of singular codes
50 and all sorts of custombuilt hardware across the net. That way
51 folks could hack remotely without having to have the specific hardwware.
52 Developing virtually is great, but at some point you have torun
53 the codes on actual hardware. After x86 I'm going to support
54 a variety of arm boards (that run linux).
55
56 *SO* do tell me more......as I'm curious about your "dd" of kernels
57 and such.
58
59 > Rich
60