From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: *dev-less gentoo
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 19:16:00
1 On 19/01/2016 18:51, karl@××××××××.se wrote:
2 > James:
3 >> <karl <at> aspodata.se> writes:
4 >>>>> I found a workaround in the sys-fs/static-dev package.
5 >>
6 >> Interesting read :: bgo #107875
7 >
8 > I'm new to gentoo, is there some special semantic to the "bgo #" ?
9 >
10 >>>> Let's be clear: static-dev is NOT a workaround. It is a full proper
11 >>>> solution for the case when a dynamic device node solution is not
12 >>>> desired.
13 >> Well, I can think of embedded (linux) systems, a lock-down server and
14 >> machine(s) loaded up with (NFV) Network Function Virtuals, as prime examples
15 >> where a static dev is very useful; albeit a management pain if one is not
16 >> careful. This is a very interesting topic for me.
17 >
18 > I have had no pain useing an old plain /dev. What's the pain ?
21 take a machine running a desktop. Plug in a usb printer. Where's your node?
22
23 That's the whole point of a dynamic dev manager, it responds to devices
24 changes that occur on normal modern machines and does TheRightThing(tm)
25 - currently defined as whatever the dev-manager config tells it to do.
26
27 I'm having a hard time thinking what kind of machine you have in this
28 day and age that can do mail and also does not need a dynamic device
29 maanger. Please enlighten us, or are you perhaps using MAKEDEV?
32 >>>> Of course it means you have to mknod every device you need yourself. But
33 >>>> you know that going in right?
34 >>
35 >>> Yes (though I alreade have a /dev from before).
36 >>
37 >> For explicit clarity, you've got a "/dev" from using dev-manager on the
38 >> system previously, and now you desire to switch to a static-dev? (Why ?)
39 >> Or did you derive from scratch (or other means) a '/dev' for a specific
40 >> need you are working on by design, historical example etc?
41 >
42 > No, I never used udev et al on my boxes, there has simply been no need.
43 >
44 >> I apologize in advance, but this thread intersects some critical new
45 >> thinking on systems cluster formation. I have ran into a small group of
46 >> extraordinary coders that are building a Hi Performance Cluster out of C,
47 >> Rust and a minimized static-dev. So I am very curious as to your specific
48 >> and detailed motives for this 'static-dev'. If a private note is warranted,
49 >> feel encourage for that type of response. If this unbounded curiosity of
50 >> mine is unwelcome, you have my deepest apologies.
51 >
52 > I never had any compelling reason to let some daemon with mess with
53 > /dev. And I have had a compelling reason to avoid it, when doing an
54 > "usual" stable dist-upgrade of Debian lenny to squeze (I think), Debian
55 > installed udev per default and everything just stopped working. And
56 > that darn thing wouldn't uninstall and /dev wouldn't unmount to get
57 > back my /dev-entries. So udev have only giving me pain and no gain.
58 > The only thing dynamic theese days are usb. Usb disks I can handle
59 > manually, usb kbd/mouse has always worked. I usually don't use more
60 > than one keyboard so I don't really need xkb, nor do I need something
61 > to autodetect keyboard layout, since I change it to something else
62 > anyhow. And udev woun't detect my serial mouse anyhow... so much for
63 > that.
64 >
65 > That said, if I would like to test some "dev-manager" (except myself)
66 > than I'd look into something that behaves nicely, like mdev (busybox)
67 > or vdev (https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev.git).
68
69 Sounds like you made one mistake once and that has now become the world
70 for you. Almost no-one else here has reported dynamic dev managers make
71 "everything just stop working". What you will hear is lots of whinging
72 about udev - actually it's whinging about udev's maintainers cleverly
73 disguised as whinging about the software - but as a class of software
74 they all get the job done and do it well.
77 Alan McKinnon
78 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com