From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 12:57:03
1 On 27 May 2009, at 09:32, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
2 > ...
3 > As the guy that started this thread I am testimony to this problem.
4 > I now have a tainted (albeit only slightly) system as my main server
5 > at home!
6 >
7 > This whole problem came about because I wanted to install truecrypt
8 > (another powder keg!) needed a new version of udev that needed x, y
9 > and z.
10 ...
11
12 I'm interested to know how you resolved the whole thing, and if your
13 machine is up & running again now.
14
15 I'm particularly interested to know how your system is "tainted".
16
17 There was some suggestion, I think, earlier in the thread that you'd
18 ended up installing Python manually, and that it might have left files
19 all over your system that might in future misbehave with your Portage-
20 installed (once you get it fixed) Python. I was about to suggest that
21 there are tools in the tree that should enable you to find files on
22 your system that don't belong to any ebuild - I see that Jorge has
23 (whilst I've been typing this) questioned the ability of qfile to do
24 this accurately, but there is perhaps some other tool.
25
26 I would also add that I'd reckon you've got a pretty sound system if
27 you can `emerge -e world` successfully - if you've got portage working
28 again, then don't worry too much about about what *might* have
29 "tainted" things. Just enjoy.
30
31 Stroller.