From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What has Sabayon to do with Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 19:17:30
1 On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM, skiarxon <skiarxon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
5 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> On Tuesday 31 May 2011 17:05:06 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
8 >> > Hi, all.
9 >> >
10 >> > Sabayon Linux is said to be "derived" from Gentoo.  Yet, reading reviews
11 >> > of Sabayon (from www.distrowatch.org), I fail to see any similarity
12 >> > between G and S; S is a binary distribution, doesn't have portage, and
13 >> > doesn't look like having much flexibility.
14 >> >
15 >> > Purely out of curiosity, what is the nature of this "derivation"?
16 >>
17 >> they use the portage tree and a gentoo like /etc. Just for example. AFAIR
18 >> of
19 >> course.
20 >
21 > You can think Sabayon as another Gentoo overlay (you can actually install
22 > the overlay in your Gentoo installation). It provides binary packages and
23 > many other things to help the user, still though you can use emerge and all
24 > the features (if not all most) Gentoo has to offer. All in all is a pretty
25 > good job.
28 In fact I believe you can use layman to add the sabayon overlay,
29 emerge entropy (Sabayon's binary package manager) and start using it.
30 (I'm sure it's not entirely that straightforward, but that's the
31 executive summary)