From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Using an odd number of drives in ZFS RaidZ
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 15:13:13
1 On Thursday, July 1, 2021 3:47:08 PM CEST Robert David wrote:
2
3 > In any of my data arrays I have long time migrated off the RAIDZ to the
4 > MIRROR or RAID10. You will find finally that the RAIDZ is slow and not
5 > very flexible. Only think you gain is the extra space in constrained
6 > array spaces. For RAID10 it is much easier to raise the size, just
7 > resilvering to new bigger disks, removing old and expanding. The
8 > resilvering speed is magnitude faster. And anyway much easier to recover
9 > in cases of failure.
10
11 multiple RAIDZ2 vdevs with a fast enough I/O can easily saturate multiple
12 10Gbit links. I actually have 2 pools in my system, one is using tripple-
13 mirrored VDEVs, the other 6-disk RAIDZ2 sets.
14
15 Both are easily capable of saturating the 10gbit link I use.
18 Joost