From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sendmail virtusertable
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:08:25
1 On Saturday 25 March 2006 06:50, "Hiren Dave" <hiren2k4@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Sendmail virtusertable':
3 > Here I have used yahoo.com domain but it can be any domain lets say
4 > domain.com. My network is not connected to Internet. Still do you think
5 > that the following will not work if guru.com exists and domain.com does
6 > not exists physically.
7
8 Here's how mail delivery normally works:
9 1. Message is composed, and sending is initiatied.
10 2. (Optional) message is handed off to a MTA, this might be local, remote
11 via SMTP, or a separate part of the same application.
12 3. The domain part of each of the destination addresses is queried for an
13 MX record from DNS; if no MX record exists the A record is used instead.
14 4. An SMTP connection is made to the host (MX) or address (A) and the
15 message is delivered there.
16 5. The MDA on that server decides what to do with the message. The may
17 involve forwarding (going back to step 2), local delivery (THIS IS WHERE
18 THE VIRTUAL USER TABLE [or equivalent] IS QUERIED), or other actions.
19 6. Once final delivery is made to a mailbox (or the mailboxes), the
20 recipients use POP, IMAP, Web, mbox, maildir, and/or other methods to read
21 the mail.
22
23 Does that help?
24
25 If you are truly isolated from the internet, you can indeed make sure that
26 the DNS MX record for yahoo.com points to your MDA and deliver
27 foo@×××××.com to a local mailbox, but it involves more than just your
28 virtual user table.
31 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
32 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
33 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
34 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list