From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dhcpd uses fake MAC address
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:23:46
1 On Sunday 26 October 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3
4 > > I don't need it. But in our network most people use windows - and don't
5 > > know anything about computers. So they get their static ip assigned by
6 > > dhcp. Once in a while the server chokes - and that is one of the many
7 > > reasons why I usually don't use dhcp. There are a lot better ones, but
8 > > if you really need to know the details, ask off-list ;)
9 >
10 > Anyway, maybe it's not a dhcp problem but originates further down the
11 > stack. Not sure what I'm looking for though :P
12
13 I've posted a couple of weeks ago about the same thing
14 titled "net-misc/dhcpcd-4.0.1-r1 change of USE flags". I have since found
15 that the problem you observed essentially boils down to the router's dhcp
16 server implementation and the way it treats the client_identifier string.
17
18 The dhcpcd package complies with RFC2131 and generates and broadcasts a
19 unique device identification number for your NIC (DUID). DUID is the long
20 number you have posted, the tail end of which contains the MAC. The server
21 is meant to use this number (according to RFC4361, clause 6.3):
22 =============================================
23 DHCPv4 servers that conform to this specification MUST use the
24 'client identifier' option to identify the client if the client sends
25 it.
26 =============================================
27
28 All this is fine and dandy, if only the dhcp server in question could directly
29 correlate the dhcpcd generated DUID to your MAC. Unfortunately, many routers
30 won't. They will treat the static MAC settings as a different device than
31 that of the DUID and issue your PC with a different than the preselected
32 static IP address. You can run dhcpcd eth0 -T -d to verify what's happening
33 in your case, although a newly issued IP address which is different than the
34 preset static IP address is a giveaway.
35
36 More sophisticated routers allow you to set up on their CLI static LAN IP
37 addresses using the DUID string, instead of the client's MAC hardware
38 address.
39
40 Previous versions of dhcpcd had the vram USE flag which copied the hardware
41 address into the DUID string and the dhcp servers would happily recognise the
42 original network device, while using the DUID string. Now the vram flag is
43 gone. Therefore, if you cannot set up static IP addresses with your router's
44 CLI using the client_indentifier string (like e.g. on Cisco and
45 Adtran/Netvanta routers), the only other solution would be to set it on the
46 client side. That's an inconvenient solution if you have a laptop which
47 connects to all sort of networks with different LAN IP addresses/ranges. In
48 that case you may have to run ifconfig and route manually each time you
49 connect to a network.
50 --
51 Regards,
52 Mick