From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sudo in kernel config ?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:47:43
1 On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 10:24 +0200, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
2 > few months ago, I read linux kernel in a nutschell(sic), and the author wrote we
3 > shouldn't do kernel operations (config and build) as root.
4
5 I call bullsh*t. I've been compiling kernels for 17 years and for the
6 most part have done it as root without any problems.
7
8 What the author is saying is that, to an extent, in theory no one should
9 compile anything as root, or really do anything non-system-adminly as
10 root. You should only do as root what is critically necessary (e.g.
11 make install) as root.
12
13 In a perfect, tidy world we'd all do that. This world, however does not
14 exist. Even portage, by default does configure and make as root (albeit
15 in a sandbox so it is safe(r).
16
17 What the author means is theoretically the config/compile phase could
18 unintentionally cause some kind of harm to your system. In practice I
19 have never seen this or heard of it. The kernel devs are bright enough
20 to ensure that the compilation does nothing outside the source tree
21 itself.
22
23 It's a good guideline but, like the government's dietary guidelines, not
24 ones I intend to follow religiously.
25
26 > Is sudo (or kdesudo ?) a good replacement to that ?
27
28 sudo runs things as root, so effectively you've done nothing but add a
29 password prompt to the mix.
30
31 Gentoo actually makes this a bit more difficult, because usually one
32 uses portage to install the kernel sources, and they get installed as
33 root-owned, and only root has write access to the kernel tree.
34
35 Some people, such as myself, use kernel sources outside of portage (I
36 follow a git repo) and do so as a non-root user. In this case the
37 kernel tree is not owned by root and the config/compile is easily done
38 as a non-root user.
39
40 If you are super-paranoid. You can make a non-root copy
41 of /usr/src/linux and compile it as a non-root user.
42
43 But there really isn't any point in using sudo. It's effectively doing
44 the same thing that you are trying to avoid.