From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initramfs, network diskless boot, init process, problems with switchroot (pivot_root)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:18:03
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:51:51 -0700
4 "Richard Fish" <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
5
6 > My final comments on that bug are based on the attached email that I
7 > received from Andrew Morton that made it clear that Al Viro was
8 > opposed to pivot_root being used from an initramfs. (BTW, viro's
9 > comments are not very polite, but you have to expect such directness
10 > from kernel hackers!)
11 >
12 > Note, be sure we are talking about an initramfs here, not an initrd.
13 > From an initrd it is still possible and supported to use pivot_root.
14
15 OK, I have to apologize. I totally missed that you were exec'ing
16 chroot. OK, I definately stand currected. But I was pretty sure I once
17 did this from initramfs. But that was admittedly back in the 2.6.10
18 days, I think. Of course in this case /sbin/init also gets PID 1.
19
20 -hwh
21 (happy to not have been the one complaining to the kernel devs :-) and
22 also forgetting to send attachments. I need a plugin that saves me from
23 doing this, e.g. searching for the word "attachment" and complaining if
24 there isn't one...)
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list