From: Dave Jones <Dave.Jones@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev 103, alsa dual soundcard problem
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:59:44
1 Yesterday I upgraded udev to 103, but have hit some problems with alsa
2 configuration of multiple sound cards.
3
4 I have an 'on board' Intel 8x0 sound card which I use for VoIP
5 telephony, and a PCI Creative Audigy which I use to play music.
6
7 The Audigy is configured to alsa as sound card 0, while the Intel card
8 is sound card 1. This set up has worked perfectly for years.
9
10 The udev 103 upgrade recommends removing coldplug. However, the alsa
11 initialisation script (alsasound) depend on both coldplug and hotplug.
12
13 If I remove coldplug from the boot runlevel alsasound fails, leaving
14 only the Intel sound card initialised.
15
16 Even worse is that udev seems to discover the sound cards in the reverse
17 order to coldplug. My Audigy card becomes /dev/dsp1 and the Intel card
18 is /dev/dsp0. Unfortunately, Audacious, my music player of choice,
19 doesn't seem to offer any choice of which dsp to use.
20
21 To put it mildly, this is a major pain; I don't want to listen to music
22 played through the VoIP headset connected to the Intel card.
23
24 Is there any way I can persuade udev to generate the /dev entries for my
25 sound cards in a particular order, so that Audacious can continue to
26 work with /dev/dsp0?
27
28 Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may be able to give.
29
30 Cheers, Dave
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list