From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: Alexander Berntsen <alexander@××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody have a Gentoo KVM image to share?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 12:42:08
1 On 05/13/2013 08:32 AM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2 > On 13/05/13 14:29, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> Running the script involves (obviously) a great deal of compiling,
4 >> but it results in a fully up-to-date system CFLAGS and USE settings
5 >> as specified up front...
6 > I'm looking for a more minimal thing that's 5-10G and comes without X
7 > or any other heavy software. I will be using it for OpenRC testing and
8 > similar things, so a big and complicated image is not desirable. I'd
9 > like networking to work though.
12 Hm. I've never tried building a Gentoo system that...small. Looks
13 doable, though.
14
15 Uncomplicated USE flags are no sweat; a lot of the machinery of the
16 script is there to cope with quirks of updates involving large sets of
17 USE flags.
18
19 Minimal networking should be no sweat; I'll just enable everything KVM
20 supports in the kernel configuration. How *much* networking support do
21 you want, though? Do you need anything more beyond basic layer 3
22 (IPv4/IPv6) autoconfiguration (DHCP, RAs and IPv4/IPV6 LL), or do you
23 want netfilter?