From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python 2.7 removal : problem with Firefox + Spidermonkey
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 16:11:17
1 On Sat, Aug 01, 2020 at 01:05:30AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
2 >
3 > I have another idea. We already have firefox-bin and libreoffice-bin
4 > ebuilds where the compiled tarball is pulled down from upstream, and
5 > untarred. Would this work on Pale Moon? I guess it comes down to
6 > whether or not python 2.7 is a run-time dependancy as well as a build
7 > time dependency. I'll ask on the Pale Moon forum.
8
9 I checked, and it looks like python 2.7 is build-time dependency only.
10 Pale Moon will *RUN* just fine without python. Runtime system
11 requirements according to http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
12
13 * A modern Linux distribution. The browser may not work well on old or
14 LTS releases of Linux.
15 * A modern processor (must have SSE2 support as the absolute minimum).
16 * 1GB of RAM (2GB or more recommended for heavy use).
17 * GTK+ v2.24
18 * GLib 2.22 or higher
19 * Pango 1.14 or higher
20 * libstdc++ 4.6.1 or higher
21
22 So a "palemoon-bin" ebuild is possible. But is it necessary? If you
23 pull down and extract the precompiled tarball to your home dir, it can
24 be set to check for, and do, updates (as long as you have write
25 permission to the Pale Moon directory). No need for portage to do it.
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications