From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: High resolution on a 13 inch screen
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 20:26:52
1 >>>>> My laptop's 13" screen has a native resolution of 3200x1800 which
2 >>>>> makes everything crazy small on-screen. Is there a good method for
3 >>>>> telling Xorg or xfce4 to compensate, or should I one-at-a-time my
4 >>>>> applications?
5 >>>>
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Depends on your desktop. I'm not sure if XFCE supports this, but in KDE
8 >>>> everything scales to my monitor's DPI automatically.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> What is the output of:
11 >>>>
12 >>>> xdpyinfo | grep -i resolution
13 >>>>
14 >>>> (The utility is in the x11-apps/xdpyinfo package.)
15 >>>>
16 >>>> On such a small screen, the result should be a very high DPI (around
17 >>>> 282.)
18 >>>> If that's not the number you get, then your graphics driver is reporting
19 >>>> it
20 >>>> wrong to Xorg, and you need to set it manually.
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>> This led me to the DisplaySize parameter for xorg.conf which helps a lot.
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> Is there a way to digitally discover the true height and width of your
27 >> screen in mm?
30 > Yes. xdpyinfo shows the information:
31 >
32 > xdpyinfo | grep -B2 resolution
33 >
34 > If the information is wrong, that usually means one of two things (sometimes
35 > even both): a) the video driver is reporting the wrong size to Xorg, and/or
36 > b) the screen is reporting the wrong size to the driver.
39 I'm getting strange results from xdpyinfo. I always get 96x96 DPI and
40 the screen size changes along with the resolution. When I run 'xrandr
41 --dpi 200x200' and check xdpyinfo, it reports correctly. But if I log
42 out and back in to xfce4 without doing anything else, it gives me
43 96x96 again.
44
45 - Grant