From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: iptables - do I need the nat table?
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:03:33
1 On Monday 12 April 2010 13:31:09 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2010-04-11 9:20 AM, Graham Murray wrote:
3 > > Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> writes:
4 > >> I'm a bit clueless when it comes to firewalls, and have no idea what
5 > >> these numbers mean/do:
6 > >>
7 > >> *raw
8 > >>
9 > >> :PREROUTING ACCEPT [4911:886011]
10 > >> :OUTPUT ACCEPT [4546:2818732]
11 > >>
12 > >> COMMIT
13 > >
14 > > The numbers are [packets:bytes] which match the rule or table
15 > > concerned.
16 >
17 > Ok, so... I still don't know what they *mean*... ie, is this a hole in
18 > my firewall? What is the raw table used for, in plain english?
19
20 I think the man page explains this in plain enough English:
21
22 "raw:
23 This table is used mainly for configuring exemptions from connection tracking
24 in combination with the NOTRACK target. It registers at the netfilter hooks
25 with higher priority and is thus called before ip_conntrack, or any other IP
26 tables. It provides the following built-in chains: PREROUTING (for packets
27 arriving via any network interface) OUTPUT (for packets generated by local
28 processes)"
29
30 So, as long as packets come and go you should see their count increase.
31
32 > More importantly though...
33 >
34 > When I try to remove the nat and raw tables from my firewall, they don't
35 > go away. I have always kept my rules in a separate file, and when I want
36 > to make changes, I change the external file, then do iptables-restore <
37 > /path/to/iptables-current.
38 >
39 > (My rule set is very small, so this only takes a second or two, so its
40 > not/never been a problem)
41 >
42 > I've been doing it this way for a long time, and all other changes I
43 > have ever made - eg, opening a certain port for a certain host - work
44 > fine, but, when I comment out the raw and nat tables, then restore the
45 > rules, then do iptables-save > path/to/iptables-current-dump, the
46 > examined file still shows the raw and nat tables loaded... ???
47
48 You need to read the man pages, but in short if you have certain modules
49 enabled in your kernel you will end up loading certain default tables. I
50 don't know how you have configured your kernel or your firewall (and I am no
51 expert to offer detailed advice) but I am guessing that although you remove a
52 rule or two you are not removing the modules that load these tables.
53
54 HTH.
55 --
56 Regards,