From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No /dev/sd? devices. Udev problem?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 19:40:19
1 I wrote:
2
3 > I just migrated a friend's machine to ~am64. Everything was updated,
4 > but after a reboot some partitons are not found. No wonder, there are
5 > no /dev/sd? devices, only /dev/sg?. I suspect the problem is udev,
6 > because that was updated. Root is encrypted, so this machine makes use
7 > of an initramfs. At that point, all devices are found, so the system
8 > comes up, but later mounting of data partitions fails due to the
9 > missing devices.
10 >
11 > Any idea what the cause is? I will try to downgrade udev and see what
12 > happens. I have to wait for my friend to arrive here though, because I
13 > do not know the LUKS password. So I thought I'd ask here first, maybe
14 > someone knows this problem.
15
16 A downgrade from 151-r2 to 150-r1 did not change anything. I can try to go
17 to lower versions, but I wonder what the problem is. My own machine is
18 ~x86 instead of ~am64, but has a similar setup, and all is working. Well,
19 not all, but I spare you my KDE4 rants for the moment.
20
21 The missing devices appear in the /sys/block/ hierarchy, so I can create
22 the device nodes by udevadm test. I created a new init script with
23 basically these commands, that activates all the devices:
24
25 for disk in /sys/block/sd*
26 do
27 udevadm test /block/${disk#/sys/block/}
28 done
29
30 for part in /sys/block/sd*/sd*
31 do
32 udevadm test /block/${part#/sys/block/}
33 done
34
35 Another thing I am missing is the /dev/vg/lvm entries, but I can also
36 access the LVM volumes as /dev/mapper/vg-lvm, so this is no problem. But I
37 wonder what else is missing that I do not know of yet. And I would prefer
38 a real solution over this hack, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy
39 to hear them.
40
41 Wonko