From: Saphirus Sage <saphirus497@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: wlan0 promiscuous mode
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:38:11
1 Grant wrote:
2 >>>> Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
3 >>>> promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
4 >>>> on my network in wireshark?
5 >>>>
6 >>> ifconfig eth1 promisc
7 >>>
8 >>> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
9 >>> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >> Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
14 >>
15 >> airmon-ng start wlan0
18 > Thanks everyone. I didn't realize it but monitor mode is what I'm
19 > after. aircrack-ng looks interesting too. Is there something similar
20 > with a GUI? airsnort seems to be discontinued. What is iw for?
21 >
22 > - Grant
25 iwconfig is the command in the "wireless-tools" package to configure a
26 wireless interface.