From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server-1.5 update/old kernel+old fglrx
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 00:35:23
1 On 06/24/2009 03:27 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Gentoo is for me. Gentoo is the only distro I run and the only one
3 > I've run for at least 6 years. Gentoo has run on THIS VERY MACHINE for
4 > over 4 years and it is the ONLY distro that has EVER run on this
5 > machine. Today I run eix-sync and emerge xorg-x11 and the machine
6 > breaks and I cannot go back. It is not my choice that Gentoo
7 > maintainers decided to drop something from portage required to make
8 > this machine run and not give me a way to get it back. Portage chose
9 > to erase files on MY machine - files that are required to make the
10 > machine work. Gentoo package maintainers decided to obsolete my
11 > machine, not me.
12
13 You should have taken a backup of /usr/portage and created binary
14 packages using "quickpgk" before the update. Portage can't contain
15 every ancient version of every package out there. It would grow to
16 infinity. Old stuff has to go. That's the very nature of Gentoo's
17 "rolling release" nature (or on other words, its lack of a "stable" notion.)
18
19 Anyway, see my other post, maybe you can go on with the update and have
20 it working in the end.
23 > I'm sure there's some way to get things back working again but I don't
24 > know what they are.
25
26 The rule is simple. If a fresh installation of Gentoo wouldn't work,
27 you're out of luck. Gentoo lacks releases. Either you change hardware
28 or distribution.