From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user <Gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] HA-Proxy or iptables?
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 07:54:53
1 Hello list!
2
3 Here's my scenario:
4
5 Currently there is a server performing 2 functions; one runs on, let's
6 say, port 2000, and another one runs on port 3000.
7
8 Due to some necessary changes, especially the need to (1) provide more
9 resource for a function, and (2) delegate management of the functions
10 to different teams, we are going to split the server into two.
11
12 The problem is: Many users -- spread among 80+ branches throughout the
13 country -- access the server using IP Address instead of DNS name.
14
15 So, my plan was to leave port 2000's application on the original
16 server, implement port 3000's application on a new server, and have
17 all access to port 3000 of the original server to be redirected to
18 same port on the new server.
19
20 I can implement this using iptables SNAT & DNAT ... or I can use HA-Proxy.
21
22 Can anyone provide some benefit / drawback analysis on either solution?
23
24 Thank you very much!
28 FdS Pandu E Poluan
29 ~ IT Optimizer ~