From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Does this qualify as some bug ?
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:05:57
1 Hello
2
3 On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 08:20:37PM +0100, Ralf Stephan wrote:
4 > > While trying to prevent 'net-dns/pdnsd' to listen on TCP and on to
5 > > avoid TCP queries, I changed 'tcp_server' parameter to 'off' and
6 > > 'query_method' parameter to 'udp_only' in /etc/pdnsd/pdnsd.conf . But
7 > > when I restarted pdnsd I found it is still listening on TCP. I checked
8 > > /etc/conf.d/pdnsd and found no option related to listening to 'TCP'
9 > > set. So, then I checked /etc/init.d/pdnsd and I found that 'pdnsd' has
10 > > been launched with '-t' command line argument (enables the TCP server
11 > > thread. pdnsd will then serve TCP and UDP queries.) . So to disable, I
12 > > need to append '--notcp' to PDNSDCONFIG in /etc/conf.d/pdnsd. So I
13 > > think, listening shouldn't be made by default, even if it is, then it
14 > > should be in configuration file, not in init.d script .
15 >
16 > Since noone answered, I'll try. I'm not into the details of your
17 > problem but I have the impression your suggestion should be stated
18 > to the pdnsd developing community, not on gentoo. I'd qualify it as
19 > bug, but YMMV, and again, I don't know much about it.
20
21 If it is a problem of init script, then it is problem in gentoo. Init
22 scripts are distribution specific (at last, gentoo has different ones
23 that other distros AFAIK).
24
25 So, if you think it is a bug, put it into bugzilla. In the best case,
26 someone will do something about it. In the worst case, the bug will be
27 marked as invalid, wontfix, or something like that. Just don't get
28 annoyed if someone simply tells it is nonsense, the people going trough
29 bugs have too many of them and they are not always completely nice.
32 BOFH Excuse #430:
33
34 Mouse has out-of-cheese-error
35