From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Suspend and Hibernation not working on XFace desktop [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 11:18:34
1 Mick and All,
2
3 On Saturday, 2019-12-21 12:22:31 +0000, you wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > A Gentoo user with consolekit and xfce should kindly check their settings and
7 > compare with yours to see if something is amiss. I'm thinking, any xfce
8 > regression bugs ought to affect more than one user at a time, so you shouldn't
9 > be alone in this.
10
11 Well, it's been a while ...
12
13 In my attempt to hunt down this bug I stumbled upon more than one omiss-
14 ion, glitch, misinterpretation, you name it that had crept into my init-
15 ial Gentoo installation. And since I had to fix these anyway, progress
16 on the initial problem was somewhat slow.
17
18 Eventually I found that
19
20 $ ck-list-sessions
21 $
22
23 just returned nothing. There wasn't any ConsoleKit session running at
24 all! I was using "x11-misc/sddm" as a desktop manager and something had
25 made it stop starting a ConsoleKit session before starting Xfce. I nev-
26 er found out what, but found a workaround. Before it starts Xfce "sddm"
27 sources "~/.xsession", if it exists. Therefore running
28
29 $ echo 'exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session $@' > ~/.xsession
30
31 once and then rebooting solves the problem. Within the script sourcing
32 "~/.xsession" the arguments "$@" will expand to the command (including
33 arguments) configured to start your session ("startxfce4" in my case)
34 and the "exec" prefix will simply prevent this script from running "$@"
35 twice. However, since I also had other reservations about "sddm" I dec-
36 ided to replace it with "lightdm" which correcly ran out of the box (ex-
37 cept for configuring the background image and -- most importantly -- the
38 keyboard layout for entering the password). And "lightdm" does not need
39 "~/.xsession".
40
41 So finally a big thank you to all the kind people trying to help ... :-)
42
43 Sincerely,
44 Rainer