From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A tale of computing thud and blunder
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 07:22:23
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/19/2011 08:15 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Kind of like what I always do when I switch from -march=nocona to
6 >>> -march=native. (Usually I use -march=nocona to ensure seamless VM
7 >>> migration on my XenServer-equipped boxen, but for some VMs, i.e.,
8 >>> those requiring me to wring out every last drop of performance, I go
9 >>> native.)
10 >>>
11 >>> That said, if you want to experience fully the "GCC Graphite"
12 >>> optimizations, you'll also want to do emerge -ev ;-)
15 >> Is Graphite worthwhile on a desktop system or is it better suited for
16 >> servers or both?
17 >
18 > This isn't something that even remotely has anything to do with
19 > servers or desktops. Just like -O2 does not magically work better on
20 > servers.
24 Sounds like it may work on both then. That's sort of what I was
25 thinking but wasn't sure.
26
27 >> I found this but still not sure what it is intended for:
28 >>
29 >> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite/4.5
30 >
31 > It's an optimization that produces faster running executables. Are
32 > you interested in *how* it works :-)
36 From what I read it makes some processes run in parallel instead of
37 serial or one at a time. Some think it is meaningless but some think it
38 is awesome. I don't know what to think since I have not used it or
39 compared the differences.
42 >> Are there any reasons to leave this be for a while? You know, bugs or
43 >> packages that don't work with it?
44 >
45 > Just like with any other optimization switch, there can be bugs. If
46 > Gentoo says it doesn't support graphite, then I'd stay away from it
47 > because Gentoo devs might not listen to your bug reports if you use
48 > it. I don't know if they support it or not though.
51 That would be another good thing to know. I don't file many bug reports
52 but if something breaks and it needs one, I do file them. This may be
53 like good wine. It may need to rest a while longer unless someone else
54 knows it is supported and works well. I got a good install and I don't
55 want to break it.
56
57 Dale
58
62 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
63
64 Miss the compile output? Hint:
65 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"