From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] processor speed
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 00:48:40
1 On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:29 PM, wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:22 PM, wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> > I'm using an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor. I bought it six or
7 >> > seven years ago when it was brand-new. It still works to my
8 >> > satisfaction. But of course recent CPUs (for example AMD Ryzen) are
9 >> > much faster. Therefore I wanna buy an AMD Threadripper next year.
10 >> > This should be an enormous speedup. :-)
11 >>
12 >> Having just upgraded one of those to a Ryzen 5 1600 I can tell you
13 >> that besides tripling your kernel build speeds, it will also sound
14 >> less like a hair dryer and make your room feel less like it has a
15 >> space heater inside.
18 > I'm not sure what TDP my Phenoms have (95W or 125W). The TDP of the
19 > 1950X is rated at 180W. But this is for all cores running at full load.
20 > So the effective heat output over time should be lower than with my old
21 > CPUs.
22
23 Your old CPU has a TDP of 140W. I forget which model exactly I had
24 but I think its TDP was 195W.
25
26 Sure, the 1950X is going to pull quite a bit of power, but my 1600
27 only pulls 65W when going full tilt. It is a very noticeable
28 difference. I suspect my old CPU probably used a good portion of that
29 at idle.
32 > Because of the high price for the whole machine (board, ram, cpu...)
33 > I will replace my two PCs (one Windoze and one Gentoo) with a single
34 > machine. However I have some concerns regarding dualboot. I would
35 > prefer NVMe SSDs but I think it may be better to use eSATA disks. Then
36 > I easily can switch the disks and it should be impossible that one OS
37 > can compromise the other.
38
39 Seems like eSATA is harder to find these days. USB3 seems to be the
40 way things are going. However, that works just fine.
41
42 On my motherboard at least the PCI-based NVMe came at the cost of
43 disabling one of the x16 slots, and the SATA-based one came at the
44 cost of disabling one of the SATA ports. So, no PCI-based NVMe for me
45 as I have an 8x card in addition to my graphics card.
46
47 They really need to make more flexible slots as I believe that the
48 slots themselves are electrically compatible - that is you can shove a
49 16x card in a 1x slot as long as you eliminate the plastic that blocks
50 this from happening. Granted, I wouldn't want to put my LSI card in a
51 1x slot - it would be nicer if they had a 2x or 4x slot in there, but
52 I realize that 1x and 16x seems to be where all the demand is.
55 > Hopefully the price for RAM will drop before I buy the new rig. It's
56 > incredible high at the moment.
59 Yeah, the best price I could find as $99 for 8GB of DDR4 ECC, and only
60 at 2400. Not much of a consumer market for ECC.
63 Rich