From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eix settings for searching all layman overlays
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 09:12:55
1 on 07/08/2013 11:12 AM Daniel Pielmeier wrote the following:
2 > 2013/7/7 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
3 >> On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 19:52:31 +0300, Thanasis wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I would like to use eix and (updating it via cron job) be able to search
6 >>> locally *all* layman overlays.
7 >>> What commands and settings should I use?
8 >>
9 >> LOCAL_LAYMAN=/path/to/layman/storage eix-remote -q update
12 > A good explaination on how to use eix-remote can be found here [1] and
13 > as usual in the man pages.
14 >
15 > [1] http://klaig.blogspot.de/2013/04/how-to-search-super-quickly-in-all.html
18 Following the above, I see that the way ti search for remote (not
19 locally installed overlays) is to use the -R option.
20 From eix (app-portage/eix-0.28.5) man page:
21
22 -R, --remote
23 Uses the value of EIX_REMOTE1 as cache file name. Use this option if
24 you want to see what eix-remote produced. You can make this option
25 the default by setting REMOTE_DEFAULT=1.
26
27 So in /etc/eixrc/00-eixrc I have set
28 KEEP_VIRTUALS=true
29 REMOTE_DEFAULT=1
30
31 and now when doing a search I get results from all layman overlays
32 (either installed or not).
33
34 I am not sure whether the KEEP_VIRTUALS setting is needed though,
35 because the man page is *not* clear to me. Besides, in the bugs section
36 of the man page, it says:
37
38 The previous default KEEP_VIRTUALS=true used to confuse people. However,
39 with the new default, nobody will find out that this feature exists. :(