From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems debugging a systemd problem
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 11:23:20
1 On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 2:15 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks for your quick reply, but I do have rd.shell=1, but it did not
4 > drop to a shell,it just hung, so I could not do journalctl or anything
5 > -- the nearest break point was pre-initqueue which was maybe too early
6 > and the next one is pre-mount which it never got to.
7
8 It could very well be a dracut bug (consider bringing the issue to
9 them), but how long did you wait while it was looping. I've seen
10 cases where dracut looped for a few minutes before dropping to a
11 shell. There are a few loops where dracut is waiting for udev to
12 detect all devices, and if it is looking for a device that will never
13 appear, then it will potentially loop forever. There should be a
14 timeout, but I don't know what it is set to by default.
15
16 Once you get a shell you should be able to inspect the
17 journal/dmesg/etc and try to see what is going on.
18
19 Sure, you could have booted a rescue CD, but I don't see what it would
20 have gained you as far as troubleshooting the problem with your
21 initramfs (though it would have allowed you to rebuild it if the
22 initramfs itself was broken, or try out a different version/etc). As
23 you point out any logs it creates are stored in tmpfs or ramfs - that
24 is true of just about any initramfs since it won't have any place to
25 store them until it mounts root.
26
27 I don't know if setting the rescue target would have helped. I think
28 that the behavior of that option is to still boot to your root
29 filesystem and THEN drop to a shell. If you want to force a rescue
30 shell within the initramfs you need to use rd.break or such, and as
31 you point out you need to find the right breakpoint for this.
32
33 I'd suggest talking to the dracut devs about how it should have
34 behaved in those circumstances. At the very least they might be able
35 to improve the error reporting.
38 Rich