From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel GM965
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 02:19:44
1 On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 21:36 -0400, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 08:47 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > xorg with hal does not work well on many systems - and hal on my
4 > > laptop
5 > > (i915) was a disaster.
6 >
7 > Well I guess YMMV. I have 3 machines using i915 drivers and all of them
8 > work flawless with hal and no xorg.conf. Even the laptop which I'm
9 > using now. I get all the resolutions that the laptop's LCD uses and
10 > plus I'm able to plug it in into an external monitor and use one or both
11 > screens. All three pointers work (touchpad, trackpoint & external
12 > mouse), GLX works, KMS works... even my i915-based HTPC that connects to
13 > my TV through HDMI works (1080p, HDMI audio out) with no xorg.conf.
14 >
15 > On the contrary, people I usually see that had to use config files with
16 > the new xorg were people who used proprietary graphics drivers.
17 >
18 > -a
19
20 What happens on the laptop when the external projector/screen wants
21 1280x1024 that isn't on the laptops internal LCD (my normal operation
22 mode with an external monitor on my desk)? - it tries to force a common
23 screen which is 1024x768 and wont acknowledge that the laptop hardware
24 is quite happy with 1024x768 - the ext LCD looks terrible compared with
25 the LCD native resolution. On one external projector it even went to
26 800x600 (even though it seemed that 1024x768 was common).
27
28 What happens when the screen sets a resolution it thinks the external
29 can do, which it does but it either tears (often seems to happen as
30 projectors age, though you can usually select a lower resolution using
31 xrandr) or goes black? - Ive had cases where both the internal LCD and
32 external monitor go black together - though not for awhile :( Many of
33 our projectors seem to advertise high resolutions to the laptop, but are
34 actually a lot lower, using conversion to display it - usually quite
35 poorly. With a 1366x768 screen on the laptop, a few projectors accept
36 that but badly distort in X or Y to fit the 4x3 aspect ratio they use -
37 note that these are institutionally managed displays so I don't get
38 access to the controls - I have to fit in with them :( Then there is
39 Mythtv, as 1366x768 isnt the same as 1360x768 which my 3 digital TV's
40 with PC inputs (not HDMI) want, 1360x768 is unavailable unless I
41 USE="-hal" for xorg-server, and then turn off EDID and DDC in xorg.conf.
42 And yes, it works perfectly when I do. And I didnt need to do this
43 before X tried to get too smart for itself.
44
45 The problem with using hal is not so much that it often does not work
46 well (which it doesn't), but that you cant override it to get the
47 control back. People might be satisfied with it if they don't know
48 better, but I have had a lot of fights over the years to get X to do
49 what I want and when it wont do what I know it can do, its really
50 frustrating, especially as my workflow is set around various resolutions
51 in particular locations.
52
53 Its a lot easier on a desktop, but even there I dont have a single
54 system that is totally happy with no xorg.conf. Problems range from
55 ignoring the xorg ati driver in favour of vesa (why?), to choosing
56 resolutions that are not optimal so these have partial xorg.conf's to
57 fix just those areas that need overriding.
58
59 If windows and Macs can do it without arcane manual configuration, why
60 cant X? Maybe in the future it will get sorted, but at the moment they
61 have a long way to go.
62
63 BillK