From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild is giving me fits
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:59:43
1 Dale schreef:
2 > Bob Sanders wrote:
5 >> Before you do that, get rid of /root/.revdep* Run - python-updater
6 >> Then - perl-cleaner all Then - emerge -uDNav world Then -
7 >> revdep-rebuild -p
10 > OK. I went in circles with those for a while. I have now come to a
11 > brick wall here. I had a earlier thread about this just in case. I
12 > have a package.use file that tells it not to do the doc thing for
13 > gentoo-sources but it seems it is more stubborn than I am.
16 >> root@smoker / # emerge -uDNavp world
17 >>
18 >>>>> --pretend disables --ask... removing --ask from options.
19 >>
20 >> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
21 >>
22 >> Calculating world dependencies ...done! [ebuild N ]
23 >> app-text/xmlto-0.0.18 0 kB
24 >>
25 >> Total size of downloads: 0 kB root@smoker / #
26
27 Did you re-emerge gentoo-sources after removing the "doc" USE flag?
28
29 If not, then the currently installed version, which was installed using
30 the "doc" flag, would still require that xmlto be installed.
31
32 That brings me to another question, because if you didn't re-emerge
33 gentoo-sources, and you have changed the USE flag, then it *should* be
34 coming up as recompileable when you do a --newuse (-N).
35
36 Why isn't it? Most likely because you have not actually changed the USE
37 flag.
38
39 What is the format of the relevant entry in /etc/portage/package.use?
40
41 If it does not look like this
42
43 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources -doc
44
45 then fix it. Alternatively, you could just remove "doc" or add "-doc" to
46 /etc/make.conf, if you don't use that USE flag the majority of the time,
47 and only add it for those packages you *do* use it for. This is how I do
48 it, doc is off by default, but enabled specifically for imagemagick, for
49 which I need all the docs I can get.
50
51 Also, try
52
53 emerge -uDNptv world
54
55 emerge --update --deep --newuse --pretend --tree --verbose
56
57 (with --tree being the important change)
58
59 to see what packages are requiring xmlto. We're
60 just guessing that it's gentoo-sources, really; maybe it's not.
63 > I did take the -p out and try it but it failed, like I expected. May
64 > be something in the command that is making it want to ignore the
65 > package.use file. Anyway . . . . . .
66
67 No, your syntax in package.use is likely wrong. Happens to all of us. :-) .
68
69 > OK, the revdep-rebuild command now gives me this:
70 <snip>
71 >
72 > Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
75 Great. No more need to deal with that atm, then.
76
77 > Don't get me started on that libingif and giflib circle either. :/
78 > I'm not sure what to do about that. The forums don't seem to have a
79 > fix either. If I emerge it, it gripes, if I unmerge it, it gripes.
80 > I'm confused.
81 >
82 > What next, hammer? Will a emerge -ev world help those broken things?
83 >
84 *Will* you stop trying to get authorization for emerge -e at every
85 opportunity!!!??? :-)
86
87 It's really not necessary. And you're getting yourself all worked up
88 over a relatively minor issue (or in fact a couple of them).
89
90 As I said, you probably have a typo in /etc/portage/package.use. You
91 want to spend a week reinstalling your system over a typo?
92
93 As for the gif/libungif problem, search the ML archives; we just talked
94 about this last week. I'd have to look it up, but iirc the solution has
95 to do with uninstalling either gif or libungif and the program that's
96 being a problem about it, then reinstalling the apps in the correct order.
97
98 But depending on your usage patterns, perhaps you don't even need to
99 worry about this *at this minute*. If the program or programs that
100 depend on the gif/libungif circle are not mission critical for you atm
101 (or you aren't using it because you're solving the other issues), then
102 put the issue on the back burner for now.
103
104 Basically, you seem to be upset because Portage is having a fit when you
105 try to update world. Not because a program is broken, or because you
106 can't do some specific task (because a program is broken). If that is a
107 correct assessment of the situation, then have some perspective.
108
109 You don't have to update world every day, or even every month. So don't.
110 If things work OK for what you need them to do, then the fact that you
111 can't update easily right now is *not a problem*. Certainly not one
112 needing a reinstall of the entire system.
113
114 If something specific is broken due to the gif/libungif issue, then tell
115 us what that is. It may be that gif/libungif needs to be sorted out to
116 fix whatever is broken, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
117
118 It's really not a big deal. Relax.
119
120 Holly