From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA_CARDS Variable in-kernel drivers?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:14:01
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:59:21 +0100
3 > Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >> b.n. wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Jakob Buchgraber ha scritto:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>> Hi!
12 >>>>
13 >>>> I just read about the required ALSA_CARDS variable when using
14 >>>> in-kernel drivers in the Gentoo Newsletter. Since I am using
15 >>>> in-kernel ALSA drivers I would like to know what changed and why
16 >>>> this is required? Is this explained somewhere? I am using
17 >>>> vanilla-sources (not gentoo-sources). So do I need to set
18 >>>> ALSA_CARDS when using vanilla-sources too?
19 >>>>
20 >>>>
21 >>> The GWN seems clear:
22 >>> "for users using the in-kernel drivers, they
23 >>> should now properly set that variable"
24 >>>
25 >>> I think that the other alsa packages must be aware of it. Anyway I
26 >>> think setting it shouldn't harm.
27 >>>
28 >>> m.
29 >>>
30 >>>
31 >>>
32 >> Thank you for your reply!
33 >>
34 >> It's clear to me that setting the variable doesn't harm however I'd
35 >> like to know why exactly. Does anybody have in-detail informations?
36 >>
37 >> Cheers,
38 >> Jay
39 >>
40 > I use the kernel drivers exclusively, and never set ALSA_CARDS or
41 > anything else for that matter. Emerge alsa-utils and turn up the
42 > volume and it always works for me. Maybe there's a different reason
43 > for ALSA_CARDS than I understand. I know the x11 "VIDEO_CARDS" setting
44 > helps not only X, but other programs too, decide which hardware to
45 > support. The same may be true of ALSA_CARDS. I would think though,
46 > that this would be most important for people using the ALSA-supplied
47 > drivers, as in-kernel drivers are selected at kernel configuration
48 > time and alsa-provided drivers must use another way to specify which
49 > sound hardware to support.
52 For me actually it's enough when gentoo devs say "do it" ;-)
53
54 ..but here's even something else:
55
56 If you don't set it, then portage sets it for you. Try "emerge --info |
57 grep ALSA" and you'll see that ALSA_CARDS has (may be) all the possible
58 values. If you set it by yourself, it would have only the value [or
59 values] you choose. I prefer the latter. ;-)
62 [*] - in case you have multiple cards
66 Best regards,
67 Daniel
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list