From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:58:41
1 On Tue, 29 May 2007 10:01:39 -0400
2 Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'm curious to know your approach to keeping your Gentoo box current
5 > without it becoming a full-time job. I'm not talking about
6 > maintaining servers - just your "daily driver", so to say.
7 >
8 > How often do you sync with the current portage tree and compare it
9 > your versions in "world"? Should one do this once a week? Once in
10 > two weeks?
11 >
12 > How often to you update major components, like Xorg, kernel, and
13 > system tool chain? As soon as new things become available, or, say,
14 > once a month or so?
15 >
16 > The reason I ask is because I often don't have a lot of time to devote
17 > to system administration on a regular basis but do want to keep my box
18 > updated as much as possible. How do some of you non-developers
19 > balance system administration with your "day job"?
22 I have a daily cron job containing:
23 ===
24 emerge --sync && \
25 emerge -DuNf world && \
26 glsa-check -t all 2>&1 | mail -s "GLSA report" root
27 ===
28
29 In other words it syncs the tree, fetches all the new packages and then
30 checks for security vulnerabilities. If glsa-chack says "This system is
31 not affected by any of the listed GLSAs" I update when I have the time
32 (mostly in the weekends), otherwise I update ASAP.
35 Best regards,
36 Daniel
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list