From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Peeve - finding kernel config options
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 00:30:05
1 On Thursday 27 Feb 2014 21:38:54 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 27/02/2014 19:24, Dan Johansson wrote:
3 > >> This clearly states that the prompt you're looking for is a line that
4 > >>
5 > >> > says "open by fhandle syscalls" under "General setup"
6 > >> >
7 > >> > Sure, it's not the absolute simplest interface (i.e. it doesn't give a
8 > >> > 'enable this' in the search results) but it does give all the
9 > >> > necessary information about a given option to find it (as well as
10 > >> > dependencies and their current states, etc). The most likely reason
11 > >> > the news item doesn't list the specific "prompt" text (or even the
12 > >> > category) is that, across even sub release versions of the kernel
13 > >> > those are prone to change (and, at times, drastically) while the
14 > >> > actual CONFIG_<name> option tends to be fairly static through time
15 > >> > once it exists (even when superseded by new toys, i.e. older
16 > >> > IDE/ATA/ATAPI options vs newer PATA options).
17 > >
18 > > But if you press "1" in the example above you will "jump" directly to
19 > > the menu item. Clue --> (1)
20 >
21 > OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
22 >
23 > I've been rolling kernels happily by hand for 10 years+
24 >
25 > Almost all that time I've had a question: "How can I easily just go
26 > straight to the option when I have it on the help screen?"
27 >
28 > Now I have a new burning question. Where is the closest geek-card
29 > recycling facility? because I obviously don't deserve the one in my
30 > wallet anymore
31
32 Oh, well if you didn't know it, I don't mind admitting it either.
33
34 And it's only friends and family who think I have a geek card, so I shan't be
35 joining you in the recycler queue.
38 Regards
39 Peter