From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do kernel modules load automatically during boot?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 19:56:49
1 Am 22.04.2015 um 21:39 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:17 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:w41ter@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I just did a huge update on an older ~amd64 machine, and now only
6 > > three out of a dozen or so kernel modules load during bootup, which
7 > > leaves a lot of hardware in an unusable state.
8 > >
9 > > What mystifies me is how those three kernel modules managed to get
10 > > loaded while all the others didn't. (It's the same three modules every
11 > > time, BTW.)
12 > >
13 > > I grepped through /etc for the names of those modules, thinking maybe
14 > > I listed them in modprobe.conf.d sometime in the past, but no, those
15 > > modules are not listed anywhere in /etc, nor are any of the others
16 > > listed either.
17 > >
18 > > I can modprobe all of the unloaded modules manually after bootup,
19 > > which shows that all of the modules exist and load without error,
20 > > so the problem lies elsewhere, but where?
21 > >
22 > > Any clues would be most welcome.
23 >
24 > If you are using systemd, there are a few modules that it always loads
25 > (ipv6, autofs4, stuff like that). Everything else is loaded
26 > automatically, by udevm, as-needed.
27 >
28 > My guess (but I could be wrong); you are using an initramfs, and
29 > didn't included the modules in it. In that case, the modules are not
30 > loaded because they are not available.
31 >
32 > I have no idea if OpenRC tries to load modules.
33
34 yes it does. You poor bunny. All those years using openrc all but
35 forgotten?
38 > Regards.
39 > --
40 > Canek Peláez Valdés
41 > Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
42 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México