From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Anyone using open-vm-tools w/ESXi?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 02:11:54
1 Hi all,
2
3 I managed to drag several 3+ year old gentoo webserver installs to
4 current. That was an interesting experience. I'd say it was difficult
5 and time-consuming but not impossible. ;-) Believe me, they were kicking
6 and screaming the whole way.
7
8 These are all virtualized under ESXi now so I did some reconfiguration
9 and decided to add open-vm-tools for shutdown support through the host.
10 All items for vmware are built into the kernel, and the VMs are working
11 as they should.
12
13 Well, except for starting vmware-tools:
14
15 vmsvc[1297]: [ warning] [GLib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance
16
17 vmsvc[1297]: [critical] [GLib-GObject] g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion
18 `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
21 I've tried rebuilding glib but no luck. I haven't tried changing the USE
22 flags on glib as of yet (just thought of that now, actually...) It
23 doesn't seem to affect the host shutdown (which is what I initially
24 wanted) but it probably shouldn't be crashing. I have a feeling it may
25 have something to do with VMCI.
26
27 I have 5 or 6 gentoo installs running under ESXi, some were new (started
28 off a new stage3) and they all have this problem. It's not show-stopping
29 by any means, but has anyone found a solution? Google has not been so
30 helpful here as most reponses I've found affect Windows.
31
32 Dan