From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 11:34:43
1 On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 04:50:43AM +0000, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > thoughts on how to maximally satisfy these
3 > requirements?
4
5 How many concurrent users will be connected to the mail server? How much traffic
6 will the S.M.T.P. server receive (read: how many e-mails arrive on a daily
7 basis)? If you really don't trust your V.P.S. provider, and your mail server is
8 small-ish, you could just skip all the trust issues and buy a cheap Raspberry Pi
9 for £20 or so.
10
11 Running a mail server over a domestic connection presents some issues, such as
12 dynamic I.P. ranges appearing in the Spamhaus blocklist, or some tyrannicalesque
13 I.S.P.s blocking outbound port 25 (S.M.T.P. submission port), but it is possible
14 to have a smooth, self-administered mail server, providing you can put in the
15 time and effort. I have been doing it myself for a few years with Courier and
16 Postfix (although I wouldn't recommend Courier; Dovecot is far superior).
17
18 What do you think?
22 Ashley Dixon
23 suugaku.co.uk